Doncaster Hold Firm On Coppinger
Ipswich Town are reported to have failed with a second bid for Doncaster Rovers midfielder James Coppinger.
Despite having a £300,000 offer turned down in May, rumours were circulating earlier in the week that Town boss Paul Jewell was ready to go back in for Coppinger with an improved bid of £400,000. However, reports now suggest that the new bid has also been rejected with Doncaster holding firm over their Player of the Year, who this week said he was happy to stay at the Keepmoat Stadium.
'I'll be reporting to Doncaster on 4 July and I'm looking forward to it,' Coppinger told BBC Radio Sheffield on Wednesday. 'I can't wait to get back and I'm looking forward to next season.'
The news comes as the latest in a series of setbacks for Jewell concerning his reported transfer targets, with several players recently linked with the club having secured deals elsewhere. Goalkeeper Keiren Westwood has signed for Sunderland, defender Jason Pearce has rejoined Portsmouth, whilst midfielders Craig Conway and Neil Kilkenny have secured moves to Cardiff City and Bristol City respectively.
Meanwhile Preston North End manager Phil Brown has revealed that no bids have yet been received for potential Town target Keith Treacy, whilst his team-mate Sean St Ledger - whom Jewell recently confirmed his interest in - is now widely believed to be in Sven-Goran Eriksson's sights at Leicester City.
Have your say on this story on our club forums or using the comment box below by registering an account with Vital Ipswich:
And keep informed about all the latest Ipswich Town stories by following Vital Ipswich on Facebook and Twitter: